Friday, November 30, 2012

Power Grab

Immediately after earning accolades from the world for brokering a cease fire between Hamas and Israel, Egypt's president Morsi issues a decree, granting himself wide-ranging unchecked powers. Coincidence? I think not.

His involvement in the Gaza situation made him a player on the world stage. He gained instant credibility and political capital. Much like a 5-year-old with a dollar bill in his pocket as he walks into a candy or toy store, Morsi couldn't wait to spend it. It's a little disturbing.

Even more disturbing is the fact that we have a newly-elected president with a penchant himself for executive fiat. It's interesting to me that I haven't heard anyone draw an analogy between the two. Maybe it's happened, and I've just missed it. Maybe people are afraid to put the idea out there in case it gets snatched up. Maybe I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist in my middle age.

What does he have to lose? He doesn't have to be elected again, and he clearly has the mindset that he can do whatever he wants, because he feels that he was handed a mandate in the election.

Give it a thought...


No comments:

Post a Comment